Saturday, November 3, 2012

MAX & DELILAH

Many of the Runyon Hikers know about what happend to my best friend Delilah this past summer. Many of you do not, so I will tell you the story. There are signs posted to please have your dog on a leash until you get past the second house,(after all it is an active driveway). Many of the hikers on the trail disregard this rule. One day there was a dog off leash who bolted under the fence and ran into the corral here at the barn. This was most terrifying for all of us. Delilah took off running, and this not nice doggie chased her around to the back side of the barn and cornered her in the stall where I usually sleep. She was cornered and was horrificly attacked. Thank God the humans heard at this point and came running to help. Delilahs back leg was severely damaged and the wonderful vet sewed her back up and she was able to return home. Unfortunately Delilah's healing did not take, and an awful infection set in. She would not walk at all and was sequestered away from me, making me very sad and all alone. The descision was made to amputate her leg, and she would be staying at the vet until her wound was 'sealed and healed'; although I did not quite understand this at the time. When our care-taker, Lars, was to load her in the car to take her away, she broke loose and ran over to me dragging her bad leg behind her. I could tell by the smell that she was very sick. She gave me a kiss goodbye before being wisked away. She didnt come back the next day. Nor did she return the day after that, or the day after that. I became so increadibly worried and sad, I did not want to go out at all and would barely lift my head. I thought she was gone forever. She was my very best and only friend since my buddy Red Barron had left the barn. I was heartbroken. Then one day she came back! Delilah had one less leg, but I would help nudge her with my nose to help her stand up and regain her balance. Now Delilah is healthy and strong, and doesn't even miss that leg! She gets very upset when mom takes me out on walks because she cannot come with us. She will yell so that the entire canyon will know she is displeased, and does not like being separated from me. Sometimes she will even sneak out the back side of the fence and onto the trail and cry at the hikers to tell me to come home immediately. It usually works! *Moral of the Story? PLEASE KEEP YOUR DOGS ON LEASH DURING LEASH ZONE! ~A Thousand Thank Yous!

No comments:

Post a Comment